2000 chrysler sebring JXi/AC wont engage, there's power at pressure transducer

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

marcpilot1
Read the full article

2000 chrysler sebring JXi/AC wont engage, there's power at pressure transducer

Post by marcpilot1 »

HI. I have a problem with the compressor not engaging on 2000 chrysler sebring convertible, JXi, clean(ish), sort of low miles(101K). The compressor wont engage no matter what I've tried. Haven't tried a lot of electrical testing though. I have replaced the compressor yesterday but this problem was before the compressor replacement.

I only replaced it because it was "time", so to speak. While at it, I replaced condenser as well, along with txv, drier, relay, all the o-rings, and I did this job meticulously. But like I was saying, compressor not engaging was the issue BEFORE replacing anything of this.

One thing I did do(don't get mad), and I only tried it because I've done it a few times, was bypass the relay. You know, sticking horseshoe shaped metal paper clip in the two slots that the relay goes into. But this time, and only this time(every time before it's ALWAYS worked) compressor wouldn't/didn't engage. Btw, I do only leave jumper clip in there for a split second, never for any long periods of time, and it's just to see if compressor will engage. It's never hurt anything before, I don't think it did a thing this time either, it simply didn't work as it always has done before. Anyway, that's a "clue"! I found a clue to what might be wrong! 1 measly clue, not a lot to be excited about here I know, but it's 1 thing I did find wrong.

So now I'm stuck. Not sure what to do or check yet to make this compressor capable of coming on/engaging.

So far I've only done a couple little things electrically. One was check for power at the transducer(it's on the high side line with a pig tail that goes into it) with test light, shows hot at purple/white stripe, wire, and nothing on other 2 wires. It's a 3 wire deal. Purple/white stripe, black/blue stripe and straight blue into transducer. Can I check for ground at the transducer without blowing things up? Or actually, could/should I check for ground there? Or at the relay?? Oh, and fuses are all good.

There was power using a test light, and I only did this check with key on, not the engine running, and the a/c on in the car(green light) blower on high- At the 5 slots the relay goes into, there's power showing at slots, numbers 19 and 39. Test light shows nothing else in the other three slots, 20, 21 and 31.

Can there be a ground missing somewhere you think?
Thanks for any guidance from here!!
John861214

Re: 2000 chrysler sebring JXi/AC wont engage, there's power at pressure transducer

Post by John861214 »

You can cut the AC on in the cab but if pressure is too high in lines or empty compressor is not going to come on u have to vac the whole system down charge thru both sides until it quits filling then close lines off crank car turn on ac at this point compressor should cycle on and off rapidly or quiet regularly. Then only charge thru the low side while car is running if the computer doesn't see the correct pressures to turn the compressor clutch on it will not ground the other terminal in relay to send power to the compressor clutch to engage also with all the components you said u replaced I didn't see where you took the time to replace one of the most important pieces being the expansion valve/ orifice tube depending on application one or the other should have been replaced it is what controls the pressures to make the freon do its job in cooling the car. Also I didn't see where you mentioned adding any freon to the system if u did did u see/hear any leaks. Hope this is helpful
John861214

Re: 2000 chrysler sebring JXi/AC wont engage, there's power at pressure transducer

Post by John861214 »

Also one last thing never jump in the relay box unless you know what wire is doing what if you were to put power or ground to the wrong terminal you could sort out the computer then really have a problem. Grab a working diagram flip the relay box over find the wires going to that relay and see if the signal wire to the relay is sending the appropriate power or ground to it with a test light
marcpilot1

Post by marcpilot1 »

This is a little late, but yea, that is correct. Touching the wrong things in there can def blow a cars computer, create big problems or burn up components and/or wires. Thanks for that incredibly important reminder. I didn't touch anything wrong, this time, but i have seen the results of "jumping" things wrong, they weren't good! At all. Thx again.