2005 Chrysler T&C Limited A/C Issues

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

msheated
Read the full article

2005 Chrysler T&C Limited A/C Issues

Post by msheated »

I sure hope I can find some help. I have given up on my mechanic since he won't return my calls or reply to my texts. I took my van to him about two weeks ago. The a/c had been going out, sometimes it would be cold and then it wouldn't be and at the same time I was having issues with the fan blower motor (tapping under the glove box usually fixed that). I assumed that the blower motor would need to be replace and I had told him about the issues I was having with it. He tells me compressor and gets a rebuilt one with a warranty for $400 and charges me $125 to put it on and get it running. I go to pick it up and I'm sitting in his drive waiting for it to get cold and it's cool at best. We are in MS so it's hot already 80s/90s & I have 4 kids so I need this thing to work. I tell him it's not getting cold and he says it will so I drive down the road and it gets warmer so I turn around and take it back. He says he sees a leak on a seal at the back of the engine and I wait as he changes out the seal and recharges the a/c but still doesn't get cold, cool at best. He says that it's just gonna take a minute for it to get in the system so I go pick my son up from school. It does not get cold, it gets warmer as we drive down the road. I take it back to him the next day and he seems flustered and annoyed and kinda like he doesn't know what's wrong. He tells me that sometimes the controls switch on their own (they've never done that before) on the fan but I'm thinking maybe the resistor for the fan is messed up? He says that he thinks it needs a new a/c control in the console. I tell him not to do anything that I'll come pick it up. I'm broke after $525 that didn't fix it and it's essentially doing the same thing as before he did anything. I take it home and try the water hose to the condenser trick and the inside temp gets cold. Does that mean it's an airflow issue? The black rubbery piece that comes out from the compressor (I think) the one that should have condensation on it if things are working right, it has condensation on it. I just had the cooling system (radiator, both fans, thermostat) changed by this same guy not even a year ago. Could it be something like a fuse or the condenser fan relay? I need some help please if anyone can give it!! I'm frustrated, broke and HOT! Thank you in advance for any advice!

Oh and he said the blower motor was fine... but it still even today didn't blow until I tapped under the glove box.
Dougflas

Re: 2005 Chrysler T&C Limited A/C Issues

Post by Dougflas »

I am sorry you have run into a tech that apparently is not well versed on repairing your vehicle. If in fact the AC works when you mist the condenser with a water hose, that proves it is an airflow problem across the condenser. The condenser is responsible to extract the heat out of the refrigerant that was absorbed by the evaporator in the dash. Are the electric fans working in front of the condenser? Are they spinning in the proper rotation? There are a few things to check and your tech should be doing this for you. As for the blower not working, that could be a loose electrical connection or a blower motor with a brush problem. I hate to say it after the $$$ you have spent with this tech but if he just puts you off, you need to find a real tech.
msheated

Post by msheated »

Thank you for your response! Next I need to check to be sure that the condenser fan is running or coming on right? The fan is new, the radiator is new so I thought it may be the relay? I've read that those go bad often because of their location right behind the grill. I feel confident that I could change out that part easily and hopefully that will do the trick. How often do the condensers go bad??
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

Condensers go bad when the compressor goes bad sometimes. The parts in the compressor gets into condensers and plugs them up. Sometimes a rock can puncture a condenser. If the fans do not come on with the AC, try the relay. I think Autozone will show you where the relay is located. with the summer months ahead, find a different experienced tech. You really need a set of gauges connected to the system to properly trouble shoot. Try youtube videos. Some of the Chysler products need the system reset.