Car AC open to atmosphere for 2 years

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Swedal
Read the full article

Car AC open to atmosphere for 2 years

Post by Swedal »

First post!

I got a customer with a leaking condenser in a Hyundai Santa Fe 2006. Problem is that it has been open to atmosphere for almost 2 years now. I will of course run a series of vacuum pulls and brake with nitrogen but will the new dryer take care of what's in the PAG oil? What would you do? Will it be a good thing to do a second dryer change short after? Or do I have to drain the system from oil completely and put new in it?
Dougflas

Re: Car AC open to atmosphere for 2 years

Post by Dougflas »

Short answer, yes. Remove compressor and change the oil. Also flush the entire system.
Swedal

Post by Swedal »

That's the proper way to do it but money is limited so I might try to get away with a dryer change and new refrigerant charge after some days. Is that plain stupid? Removing the compressor is alot more work but on the other hand it could kill it if I don't...
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Slapping a charge in a system that has been open for years may work for long enough to sell the car - but it just sends the problem down the road.

PAG oils can hold on to water:

http://www.autoacforum.com/messageview. ... adid=17571

Flush the compressor with fresh oil. Flush the system. Get all of the flushing agent out.