Water Dripping from Evap, suction line warm

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Coolair
Read the full article

Water Dripping from Evap, suction line warm

Post by Coolair »

So here's a mind twister.....been working on a piece of heavy equipment with a very odd situation. System when running will drip water from evaporator and will have air out vents at mid to high 40's if it stays between 60 and 70 degrees outside suction line never cold and high side lines at drier never hot to the touch. When it warms up at outside air out vents goes up to mid 50's to 60's still see water drip from evap, suction line not cold. This is on a expansion valve system. Compressor cycles every 6 or 8 seconds down to 6lbs then I assume the low pressure switch is shutting it off, high side is 125- 150 depending on outside temp and independent condenser fan is running normal so no issues there. I suggested to customer evaporator is likely covered with dirt and mud as most construction stuff gets and while we had it apart should replace expansion valve as I think it's starving for Freon. At first it appeared as a low charge but system was just recharged by someone else and tagged as full charge. Customer decided to ignore my advice and change binary switch my thinking was since the switch is shutting the system off it's functioning normally.....thoughts ????
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Water Dripping from Evap, suction line warm

Post by Tim »

Never trust someone's charge level. Reclaim and recharge to proper specs. Then see if you still have a low pressure issues.

Look for leaks in the case and or kicked off drain tube.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Coolair

Post by Coolair »

Thanks Tim, will go with your advice. Customer had someone else look at it and replaced the binary switch for some reason I knew that wasn't the problem and they found that out after they replaced it. I told them the switch is working as it is shutting the system off when it should at 6psi.....some need there own lessons lol.
Coolair

Post by Coolair »

Well recovered and vacuumed then weighed in the correct amount of 134...system was no different. I think I'm going to disassemble the evaporator area to check cleanliness of evaporator and change expansion valve seems like it's starving for 134 as the low side still goes to 6 lbs when compressor turns on them the low pressure switch shuts it off.