1987 DeVille thermistor

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Dave in Texas
Read the full article

1987 DeVille thermistor

Post by Dave in Texas »

Recently had my Grandson help to change out the AC compressor and other parts on the '87 DeVille. He unscrewed the low-side thermistor and in doing so I find the plastic sensor is loose in it's attachment cap. I think the sensor is ok, reading 2.6k Ohms, but it being loose worries me that it will not hold vacuum.
I CANNOT find a replacement anywhere!
The AC liquid line has two of these sensors: one before the orfice tube and one immediately after it. Both are the same sensor. They probe/measure the temp of the liquid passing through.
I can not find any way to release the plastic sensor from the attachment cap? If I could remove the plastic part maybe I can figure a way to shim it/jb weld it, and keep it tight enough to hold vacuum.
Four Seasons used to carry a replacement (#36645) but it has been discontinued long ago, and when that is done all info is purged from their database.
I've tried all the junk yards but No Joy.
I got the car in '97 and early in '98 converted it to 134a. Never had any problems at all, until the compressor clutch bit the dust late last year. (Don't drive the car much which is the 'why' of it lasting so long)
Hoping to get some helpful advice about what I can do? I'd like to get a replacement but can't find one anywhere.
Help?
Thanks, I'd appreciate it.
Dave
Retired IBEW Electrician. Veteran ('61-'67)
1981 F100 (bought new) 300-6 4-sp stock truck(R12)
1987 Coupe Deville (R134a)
2003 Harley Low Rider
Tim
Site Admin

Re: 1987 DeVille thermistor

Post by Tim »

Not available anywhere any more. But you know somewhere out there, there is 10 sitting on a shelf.

------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Dave in Texas

Post by Dave in Texas »

Thanks Tim and I'm sure you are right about the 10.
I have found out since the post there were a bunch of mid-80s GM FWD cars that used the same Thermistor. Cadillac started using it in 1984 and went though to 1988 in the DeVilles/Fleetwoods. All tolled I count 75 GM models used it (Buick, Caddys, Olds) until 1989.
Maybe I'll get lucky and someone has one of those old cars.

Dave
2003 Harley Low Rider
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

You might try to block the fitting so refrigerant will not leak out of the fitting. Then select a thermistor that will fit on the outside of the tubing and insulate it. Trane HVAC uses this type of sensor, mini splits by Fujitsu uses this type of sensor also. You might try Mouser Electronics for a thermistor source.

You might also try a wrecking yard company such as LKQ and try to find a wrecked/parted out vehicle.
Dave in Texas

Post by Dave in Texas »

Douglas, thanks for the reply. Attaching to the outside of the tubing reminds me a heat-tracing. If I can not find some old mid-80 GM FWD cars with the thermistor, I'll research that idea. Thanks
2003 Harley Low Rider