1979 Chevy Truck

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Caymandave
Read the full article

1979 Chevy Truck

Post by Caymandave »

Good Morning thanks for taking me. I have a situation that my mechanic cant seem to fix. We have fixed all of the other problems. There are two hoses that go from the evaporator to the radiator suppport bracket then transition to two aluminium tubes to the condensor these two aluminium tubes were damaged when the new engine was installed. I think we have the damaged tubes. I am staying with the R-12 maybe a big mistake but that's where I am.
My question is why can't I find the tubes, why can't the tubes be made of copper, or why can't the tubes be made of hoses? I know shows my ignorance but that's where I am right now.
Hope you can help.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: 1979 Chevy Truck

Post by Cusser »

Specialty AC shops can make new hoses. Reason for the flexible rubber part is engine and road vibration.

Staying with R-12 will not add significant cost overall, might even save you money.
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

If you post some photos, I may be able to help you.
Caymandave

Post by Caymandave »

Seems the photo I want to down load is too big it is page 18 of the LMC catalogue. If you look at the end of hoses 6-8 you will see a pipe or two pipes that LMC doesn't sell. the is the pipe that goes through the radiator support and attaches to the a/c radiator. those were damaged. I think the ends are there but the got bent and leak. Seems my mechanic can't fix them. My question is where could I get those and if not can I take the ends off and use them with couplings and copper pipe. Why not make them out of rubber tubing?
Thanks
Dave
Caymandave

Post by Caymandave »

Thats page 178 of the LMC catalog
Jag987

Post by Jag987 »

Image I think this is the picture.
I bought a can of freon at supermart. It had dye, oil, and stop leak in it. It also came with a hose and a gauge. Now I'm an ac professional!!!
Caymandave

Post by Caymandave »

The parts are the ones that are gray on the right side of the condensor that indicates that LMC doesn't have them and that is what I am looking for. thanks for the reply
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

If you have the end connections, why not have a welding shop TIG weld them onto new tubing? Or another choice is to TIG weld barbs onto the fittings?
Caymandave

Post by Caymandave »

that's the fall back plan just wanted to see if any one could or did have some used ones for sale. Thanks for the reply
Caymandave

1979 chevy truck

Post by Caymandave »

Hi I currently have R-12 seems like i is pretty easy to change to 134-a any secretes I need to know? Also I am looking for some missing or bent tubes. The come from the drivers side of the condenser to the system through the radiator mounting bracket. LMC doesn't have them and for some reason I can't print the page in their catalogue but you can clearly see they don't make or have these two parts. Anyone know of a salvage yard I might try?
Thanks
Dave