Compressor shim removal

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

parkerFly
Read the full article

Compressor shim removal

Post by parkerFly »

I hate to ask complete noob and dumb questions, but can someone tell me why I can't get the shims to slide off this compressor shaft? Short of taking it off and trying to shake them out? I've tried everything I have to use to walk them off and they won't come. I've done this before but can't remember what I did. It was on a different compressor but same one as this one. Thanks for any ideas or help.

Justin
Attachments
comp2.jpg
comp2.jpg (215.9 KiB) Viewed 7108 times
Jag987

Re: Compressor shim removal

Post by Jag987 »

The shims would be on the end of the shaft by the threads where the rust is or still inside the hub that has already been removed. What are you trying to do, decrease the air gap? Maybe there is a terminology issue and we are talking about different things.
I bought a can of freon at supermart. It had dye, oil, and stop leak in it. It also came with a hose and a gauge. Now I'm an ac professional!!!
parkerFly

Post by parkerFly »

You can see the shims in the pictures. They're on the shaft slid all the way to the back. Yes I am wanting to reduce the air gap, just can't seem to get them to slide off. Thanks,

Justin
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

parkerFly wrote:You can see the shims in the pictures. They're on the shaft slid all the way to the back. Yes I am wanting to reduce the air gap, just can't seem to get them to slide off. Thanks,
Justin
Justin - you did remove the circlips, right to try to get a spacer off? But first make sure that this is SAFE to do, please.