Toyota Hilux

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

tomacsh
Read the full article

Toyota Hilux

Post by tomacsh »

Hi,

I have a Toyota Hilux 2011 4 cyl. turbo diesel 4WD Crew Cab with an A/C that is working intermittently. Need advice on if the thermistor is the problem or is it something else.

When the car is started and the A/C turned on, the blower works perfectly, the A/C begins to cool, and I can drive. It is when I am driving say in traffic or getting stopped at a traffic light, the A/C starts to blow warm air. If I am on a highway, it works continuously without any problem. when in traffic and it is giving trouble, I can using the temperature setting switch and rotate from full cool on to the off position/lowest possible cooling (turn it anti-clockwise fully). after a few minutes if I turn the switch to full cool (turn clockwise fully) the A/C starts to work again.

Can anyone tell me what the most likely cause for this problem is? I have been told that it is the thermistor that needs replacement and am resisting this as it requires the dismantling of the dashboard to get at it.

thanks

Stuart
Dougflas

Re: Toyota Hilux

Post by Dougflas »

When you lose cooling, are the aux fans working? Is the compressor clutch engaged?
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: Toyota Hilux

Post by Cusser »

Dougflas wrote:When you lose cooling, are the aux fans working? Is the compressor clutch engaged?
Or if this vehicle has a fan clutch and not electric condenser/radiator fans, would sound like a fan clutch issue.

I think Dougflas is on the right track by figuring that there is not sufficient air flow over the condenser and engine.