CONDENSER question.....different sizes

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Flyle
Read the full article

CONDENSER question.....different sizes

Post by Flyle »

Hello all, new to this forum.

I have a question about different size condensers in different cars.

I have a 1998 Pontiac Trans Am. The A/C condenser is 26" wide x 15" height x 1" thick. I am wondering how a small compact car uses a much smaller condenser, close to half the size, and it also has ice cold air.....and also blows just as hard through the vents, or harder.

What if I used one of those smaller condensers in my Trans Am with a full time 2,600cfm fan attached to it pulling air through it.

Would I still be able to have ice cold air in my Trans Am...?

I ask this because I am modifying my engine bay to fit a turbo kit....I need to move the radiator forward. If I can use a smaller condenser it would make this whole job easier.

Thanks.
Dougflas

Re: CONDENSER question.....different sizes

Post by Dougflas »

Let's remember the purpose of a condenser is to reject the heat in the refrigerant. Some condensers are micro tubed, some are parallel flow, some are tube and fin. It not only is the size, it is the type that separated one from the other. Older systems contained more refrigerant than newer systems hense, there is more heat to reject.
Flyle

Post by Flyle »

Dougflas wrote:Let's remember the purpose of a condenser is to reject the heat in the refrigerant. Some condensers are micro tubed, some are parallel flow, some are tube and fin. It not only is the size, it is the type that separated one from the other. Older systems contained more refrigerant than newer systems hense, there is more heat to reject.
Does that mean that I can use a smaller, but much better type of condenser, and still be able to carry enough heat away from the condenser. Especially with a 2,600 cfm fan on it.
Flyle

Post by Flyle »

Dougflas,

Also, what is the best type of condenser for the fastest and most efficient heat dissipation?

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Flyle wrote:Dougflas,

Also, what is the best type of condenser for the fastest and most efficient heat dissipation?

http://www.ackits.com/painted-parallel-flow-condensers
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

Ah, a question right in my wheelhouse! Not all condensers have the same performance, and the technology and performance has increased with time. A current production condenser will have much better performance than one produced for 1998 MY.

Yes, a smaller, lighter, thinner 2017 produced condenser could give you the same performance as a 1998 dinosaur. A current production condenser uses much less aluminum than a 1998, and therefore costs and weighs less for the same performance.

I've been a lab manager for a big tier 1 supplier for 5 years now. I'm moving back into technology development, but I'm currently the guy who is in charge of testing condensers among other things.