2001 Olds Aurora blow warmer air on driver's side

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Booster
Read the full article

2001 Olds Aurora blow warmer air on driver's side

Post by Booster »

The passenger's side blows ice cold, temperature is about 50 degrees. The driver's side is much warmer at 70 degrees. I've removed the driver's side blend actuator and manually rotated the blend door fully in each direction and the temp will only get hot or just cool. I've checked the refrigerant level and added a can of refrigerant which brought the overall temp down but there is still a significant difference between the driver and passenger side. My guess is that the blend door is not sealing off the heat well enough. Anyone else experience anything like this or have any other ideas?
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Re: 2001 Olds Aurora blow warmer air on driver's side

Post by GM Tech »

My guess is that you have half a charge of refrigerant and the inlet of evaporator feeds the passenger side and there is nothing left over to boil off on the driver's side of evaporator-- seen it many times always the driver's side warm first when losing charge. Fix is to discharge, recover and weigh to prove loss of refrigerant, then find and fix your leak, then recharge to factory spec and be cool on both sides...
Booster

Post by Booster »

Any idea what the spec would be on a 2001 Olds Aurora? I've already added a can of refrigerant. The passenger side got colder but the driver stayed about the same.
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Post by GM Tech »

A simple "Google search" for olds aurora refrigerant capacity yields 28 ounces for a 2001 model-- sure would wish everyone would use the searches available online--
Booster

Post by Booster »

I did search for it online and got anywhere from 32 to 35 ounces. I cannot find any site that references 28 ounces.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

GM Tech wrote:Fix is to discharge, recover and weigh to prove loss of refrigerant, then find and fix your leak, then recharge to factory spec and be cool on both sides...
EXACTLY the strategy I'm now using on my own 1988 B2200.

The mechanic recovered and weighted the refrigerant, showed it was low at least 6 oz., and he added UV dye. So if the refrigerant level drops again, UV dye should be be able to seen and such component repaired/replaced.