Oil in an RV engine AC compressor

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

jamyers
Read the full article

Oil in an RV engine AC compressor

Post by jamyers »

1999 Chevrolet P30 chassis (as far as I can tell), with a 7.4L engine, who knows what evaporator, and a giant old-fashioned tube and fin condenser. I've noticed that the compressor is mounted much higher than any other part of the AC system, if it matters.

Replaced the compressor because the belt that was on there (and indicated by every parts-house lookup) was .5" too short and it ate the compressor pulley bearing up (will try and post pics).

(Stupid photobucket won't let me copy links via iPad)

I've rotated the compressor hub quite a bit trying to get oil out of it so I could measure and replace the same amount, but all I get out is maybe a teaspoon full, even after leaving it propped up for a couple days.

Any guidelines on how much oil I should add?
jamyers

Re: Oil in an RV engine AC compressor

Post by jamyers »

Anybody? Well, the acdelco tech connect site indicates at least 2.5 ounces of oil, more of a greater amount came out of the old one. So I think I'll go with 2.5oz
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Post by GM Tech »

Better to be heavy on oil than to be shy on oil....I've seen double charges of oil before-- can affect efficiencies, but not really hurt the pump, until you go 3 times or more the amount needed..
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Virtually every full size pickup, G van, Suburban etc. in 1999 used 8 ounces of oil in the system.

2.5 ounces is for a compressor replacement only, not for a clean & dry system.