97 Ford F150 recharge after major repair

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

slfalco
Read the full article

97 Ford F150 recharge after major repair

Post by slfalco »

First time servicing AC, it finally died after almost 20 years and 110K miles (truck obviously not a daily driver), it was leaking badly at the compressor shaft... I will be replacing the compressor, accumulator, orifice valve, and hose assembly (both hoses that attach to the manifold that bolts to the compressor ). I have torn out all the old parts, and have the new parts on order (there was nothing to recover, it had all leaked out after I charged with dye to find the leak, so please no EPA lectures)... I have the manifold gauges and a vacuum pump, and I have done research on the proper procedures to recharge the system.. Forgive me if these sound like dumb questions, but there are a few things I am unsure of...

Should I flush the condenser? I have an air compressor, so I think there is a solvent made that you spray in then blow through with compressed air? both directions?

Can/should the evaporator be flushed also?

Once I reinstall all the parts, how do I add the compressor oil? When pulling the vacuum on the system, would that suck out any oil that may have already been in the new compressor when it was shipped? Or can I leave that in there, then add more oil through the yellow line when charging? I have seen various methods, some say to add some oil to the accumulator also before initial charge... The sticker says 2 lbs of R134A and 7 ounces of oil...
slfalco

Re: 97 Ford F150 recharge after major repair

Post by slfalco »

Geez, 247 views, not one answer. I got the information elsewhere...