Evaporator size

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

notahacker
Read the full article

Evaporator size

Post by notahacker »

Hello Friends,

I'm new here. Apologise if i'm in the wrong section.

I have been thinking of doubling the size of my Evaporator. I need advice on what needs to be changed as well. Will i need a bigger compressor, or will i do just fine with the compressor i have?

Dougflas

Re: Evaporator size

Post by Dougflas »

Are you planning to use 2 evaporators? You will then need a separate metering device like they do for rear evaporators in a vehicle. It might help if you describe your vehicle as in make, model, and year. Also, what compressor are you using? do you plan to use a different condenser? A compressor can only give a certain amount of mass flow rate. Larger evaporators can yield more BTU's but does your system support that? There are a lot of questions to be answered.
notahacker

Post by notahacker »

No. i want to use only one evaporator, but larger in size. I own a Proton Saga, which is the same as the 90s Mitsubishi Lancer/Colt/Mirage.
Yes i plan to use a bigger condenser as well. I don't know about my compressor model, except that it's a Denso one.

If i increase the size of my evaporator and condenser, Is there any calculation that i can make to choose a compressor (if i have to change)? What specifications should i look when i am buying a compressor?
RobertSmith

Post by RobertSmith »

- Look at the horsepower (HP) of the air compressor. ...
- Try to look at Cubic Feet per Minute, or CFM. ...
- Consider space and portability. ...
- Consider your power source. ...
- If using a piston-type compressor, determine how large your tank should be.

These are some of the specifications that should be looked when looking for an air compressor.
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

RobertSmith wrote:- Look at the horsepower (HP) of the air compressor. ...
- Try to look at Cubic Feet per Minute, or CFM. ...
- Consider space and portability. ...
- Consider your power source. ...
- If using a piston-type compressor, determine how large your tank should be.

These are some of the specifications that should be looked when looking for an air compressor.
I think you have mixed up the poster's intentions. He is not writing about an air compressor but an AC compressor.