1972 c10 factory ac questions

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

Junkcarguy
Read the full article

1972 c10 factory ac questions

Post by Junkcarguy »

I have the capeability of putting factory AC in my truck is the orignal system any good are there any upgrades that I should do such as s6 compressor or a different condenser I can have it recharged with r12 freeze 12 or 134 just want what works best on summer days 95f temps the truck is fuel injected and has a 4 core rad with clutch fan and proper fan shroud thanks
Tim
Site Admin

Re: 1972 c10 factory ac questions

Post by Tim »

A6 over the the S6 in my opinion.

R12 over any of the alternatives refrigerants.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
lsrx101

Re: 1972 c10 factory ac questions

Post by lsrx101 »

If your 1972 C10 was a factory AC truck from the beginning, putting it back is easy.
If it was a Heater Only truck, there are firewall modifications that will have to be made. Adding AC is not an easy task.
If you're comfortable with the mods, the factory AC system is much better than any aftermarket system, even today. That's assuming that the air handler components are restored and the installation is done properly. The factory air handler is the biggest benefit to the 60-70s GM systems.
If you're not up to heavy modifications to a Non-AC truck, an aftermarket kit is likely your best choice.

To your question about setting up the Factory AC, I would suggest:
-Build the systrem with R12, if practical. Use all caution to ensure no leaks.
-Use a Pro6Ten or S6 compressor. (I'm a big fan of the original A6 but, sadly, there are better options today). I can personally recommend the Pro6Ten, I haven't had the chance to try an S6.
-Since your truck is modified already, use the largest Parallel Flow condenser that will fit, even with R12. If R12 isn't available later on, the system can be converted very easily to R134a. It may even work a bit better than new with R12 due to the more efficient condenser.
-Have your POA valve tested and calibrated for whichever refrigerant you choose.
Aside from normal servicing procedures, that's all I've got.
Good luck.