1976 Cadillac A/C

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Thejumpsuitman
Read the full article

1976 Cadillac A/C

Post by Thejumpsuitman »

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I was referred to this forum for the questions I had... I own a 1976 aCadillac Deville that has been off the road for over 20 years. I have gone through the mechanical systems and it runs and drives great, but now I would like to get the A/C working again.

Obviously it would have carried R12. The most common thing to do now is retrofit to R134a, but in my experience, it is never cold enough, especially at a stop light. In fact, I have a 1992 Cadillac Brougham with a 350 that is that way, ice cold when rolling and nasty when sitting still.

So My question is... Is the reason for this poor performance on these older cars because of the lack of an electric fan? is there anything other than r134a that I can use? Thank you.
Jag987

Re: 1976 Cadillac A/C

Post by Jag987 »

Keep it R12. It is still out there and can legally be put in a vehicle that originally came with it.
I bought a can of freon at supermart. It had dye, oil, and stop leak in it. It also came with a hose and a gauge. Now I'm an ac professional!!!
Thejumpsuitman

Post by Thejumpsuitman »

I would live to go back with R12 but have no idea where to go around here. If I do that, I will buy a new compressor first. Not taking any chances with expensive freon. Thanks for the input.
Jag987

Post by Jag987 »

Where are you? I know several times in the past people have connected with others on here for help. Lots of us still have R12. I did some work on two vehicles last week that still use R12.
I bought a can of freon at supermart. It had dye, oil, and stop leak in it. It also came with a hose and a gauge. Now I'm an ac professional!!!
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

I have R-12 too, and one truck that still uses that.