What is the purpose of the black metal tabs on the right side of the attached image?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

pgaines
Read the full article

What is the purpose of the black metal tabs on the right side of the attached image?

Post by pgaines »

And, is there an easy way to install them? It seems the diameter of the holes in them are smaller than the tube they fit over, and I end up bending them multiple ways while getting them onto the lines.

Thanks
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (38.74 KiB) Viewed 6302 times
Jag987

Re: What is the purpose of the black metal tabs on the right side of the attached image?

Post by Jag987 »

Chrysler. Not sure of the purpose, and I can't ever get a new one one either. So I quit trying, just replace the O-ring with some nyloc. I have not had one leak or a comeback. If there is a trick to installing them, I too would like to know it. I'm no engineer, but am sure the are supposed to serve some purpose.
I bought a can of freon at supermart. It had dye, oil, and stop leak in it. It also came with a hose and a gauge. Now I'm an ac professional!!!
pgaines

Re: What is the purpose of the black metal tabs on the right side of the attached image?

Post by pgaines »

After thinking about it, the design looks like it keeps dust, water, and other debris from getting down around the o-ring area, which the nyloc should do the same thing. I found a video of a guy using a socket slightly larger than the line fitting, to push the piece on. Since I've got them, I'll give that a shot. If it fails, I'm off to find some nyloc. Thanks!