2000 Mercury Grand Marquis AC hose blows off

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

Will_K
Read the full article

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis AC hose blows off

Post by Will_K »

I'm replacing most of my AC system after the compressor froze. New compressor, all hose assemblies, orifice valve, accumulator. I am using a Murray accumulator, a remanufactured Four Seasons compressor. I bought UAC hoses off Ebay.

I've had to replace the discharge hose with a Murray hose assembly from O'Reilly. The fitting bent at the O-rings and the quick disconnect would not lock.

I got a good vacuum, I looked up that I need 38 ounces. I started filling and the hose blew off before the first 12 ounce can was in.

I noticed the UAC hoses seem to use aluminum where Murray and the OEM assemblies seem to use steel... Are these just poor quality or is there something else I'm not going right?
Jag987

Re: 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis AC hose blows off

Post by Jag987 »

I fought with a quick disconnect fitting on a new UAC hose for a long time a couple of weeks ago. After fighting with it for too long, I pulled the accumulator off so I could see what was going on better. The end of the hose was too big!!!! The "bell" end of the hose would not go into the accumulator. I placed a clean rag in the hose and filed it down a bit. Then it went together and I went to install it......maybe I should not be telling this story...... ok, so the accumulator was still off the truck, and I put the hose on the wrong fitting. Idiot. then I found I had not ground enough away to be able to use any of my disconnect tools. I had to dig out the spring in pieces with a couple of picks!! Believe me, lesson learned!

Anyway, I once had a hose like that blow off that I thought was on good. under vacuum, it is like it is holding it together, the the pressure when you started charging it blew it off. I have also had fitting that held under vacuum, but leaked when they were charged.
I bought a can of freon at supermart. It had dye, oil, and stop leak in it. It also came with a hose and a gauge. Now I'm an ac professional!!!
Will_K

Re: 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis AC hose blows off

Post by Will_K »

I swapped in the old hose, evacuated, filled. Everything works great.