Automotive Air Conditioning Information Forum (Archives)

Provided by www.ACkits.com

We've updated our forums!
Click here to visit the new forum

Archive Home

Search Auto AC Forum Archives

What Type of Anti-Seize for Steel Nut on Aluminum Fitting

94RX-7 on Sat June 22, 2013 11:39 AM User is offline

I'm retrofitting a universal drier on my RX-7 because the correct drier can no longer be bought. This requires me to use some custom hoses, and the hose ends have steel nuts. I can't get metric hose ends with aluminum nuts. These steel nuts will be threading onto the factory aluminum fittings. Mazda used aluminum nuts, so there was no issue with dissimilar metal corrosion.

My question is: What sort of anti-seize compound is appropriate for use on these fittings? If it was a spark plug, I'd use good 'ol copper based anti-seize....but this ain't a spark plug.

I really don't want these things to seize on there years down the road and ruin some very difficult to obtain factory parts (condenser and liquid line).

Edited: Sat June 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM by 94RX-7

wptski on Sat June 22, 2013 1:57 PM User is offline

This link will get you where you need to look: Loctite and there are other links on that page. Probably the Zinc stuff.

Your using steel and aluminum just like a spark plug in a aluminum head so whatever you'd use there, use it here. You won't find the Loctite Zinc product in a small amount anyway.

Edited: Sat June 22, 2013 at 2:47 PM by wptski

emsvitil on Sat June 22, 2013 6:35 PM User is offlineView users profile

Try mcmaster.com and see if they have the nut you need in aluminum.

-------------------------
Ed
SoCal

94RX-7 on Sat June 22, 2013 6:39 PM User is offline

Quote
Originally posted by: wptski
This link will get you where you need to look: Loctite and there are other links on that page. Probably the Zinc stuff.



Your using steel and aluminum just like a spark plug in a aluminum head so whatever you'd use there, use it here. You won't find the Loctite Zinc product in a small amount anyway.

I've seen Loctite's pages on their various anti-seize compounds. Problem is, I'm not sure what is ideal for A/C use. I'm afraid of chemical incompatibility in the event that a little bit gets inside the system. I was hoping somebody would chime in and say "no, no, never use that it will destroy your compressor" or yeah, that stuff is perfectly safe if a little happens to get inside the system.

94RX-7 on Sat June 22, 2013 6:40 PM User is offline

Quote
Originally posted by: emsvitil
Try mcmaster.com and see if they have the nut you need in aluminum.

Wouldn't matter if they did. These nuts are "captive" nuts that were put on the tubing before the end was formed in the tubing. Now they won't come off unless I cut the tubing and destroy the hose end.

wptski on Sat June 22, 2013 8:02 PM User is offline

Quote
Originally posted by: 94RX-7

I've seen Loctite's pages on their various anti-seize compounds. Problem is, I'm not sure what is ideal for A/C use. I'm afraid of chemical incompatibility in the event that a little bit gets inside the system. I was hoping somebody would chime in and say "no, no, never use that it will destroy your compressor" or yeah, that stuff is perfectly safe if a little happens to get inside the system.
If your worried about that just use whatever your using for lubricant as you might do with "O" rings.

TRB on Sat June 22, 2013 8:10 PM User is offlineView users profile

Nylog.

-------------------------

When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: ACkits.com
Contact: ACKits.com

fonebone on Sun June 23, 2013 8:12 PM User is offline

Hi 94ZR-7; Like TRB says--check this site, go to main page, scroll down to "Nylog". I use it just as it says-For threaded fittings and o-rings, never hardens,etc. Total compatibility with A\C, great stuff!!

Back to Automotive Air Conditioning Forum

We've updated our forums!
Click here to visit the new forum

Archive Home

Copyright © 2016 Arizona Mobile Air Inc.