Engine Size: 5.3
Refrigerant Type: 134A
Country of Origin: United States
I have been reading over the forum for hints and advice. I keep seeing bad comments about refill kits.
What seems to be the problem with them ? Just curious, Thanks.
Slightly more than half of A/C problems are related to refrigerant leaking out. The other half are something else. There is a perception among the public that every A/C problem can be solved by recharging, as if refrigerant were somehow a consumable that gets "used up" during normal operation. The sale of recharge kits (combined with their seriously inadequate instructions) reinforces this perception. Recharging a system with a serious leak will not last long, it is a waste of money and harmful to the environment.
* Cans often contain sealers and additives that are at best useless and often harmful.
* They offer no way to measure high side pressure. That is vital to prevent overcharging when trying to top up a system by pressure-- assuming it needs charging at all.
* The instructions are seriously inadequate.
* The plastic couplers and gauges are of low quality, often failing to work, breaking and/or leaking.
I asked after I purchased one but, before using it. I will be returning it.
You made very valid points, most I didn't think of.
After reading comments today I figured out that not being able to read the high side was one of the biggest faults.
Thanks again for the input.
Edited: Thu July 21, 2011 at 7:53 PM by FyreSarge
If you want to get the best performance out of a refill kit, please be sure to follow the below steps:
- Place kit behind left rear wheel
- Start engine
- Place transmission in reverse
- Depress accelerator pedal slightly
- Once the audible crunch and pop sound is heard, place transmission in park, turn off engine, remove kit from front of rear wheel, and place it in a conspicuous location as a prominent reminder never to use one of those kits again.
If you follow these instructions, you can be assured that no additional harm will come to your system... or your wallet.
I just posted a thread after doing more research.....sadly after I purchased and used a kit :/ I am only hoping I didnt harm my system further by using the "Arctic Freeze"
We've updated our forums!
Click here to visit the new forum
Copyright © 2016 Arizona Mobile Air Inc.