Automotive Air Conditioning Information Forum (Archives)

Provided by

We've updated our forums!
Click here to visit the new forum

Archive Home

Search Auto AC Forum Archives

port valve help!

steeee on Sat April 24, 2010 1:55 AM User is offline

Year: 1997
Make: jaguar
Model: xj6l
Engine Size: 4.0
Refrigerant Type: r134a
Country of Origin: United States

My high side port is leaking. Upon closer inspection it seems that it has a non replaceable valve. Is this the case? Is there any adapter that fits on the service fitting that will "adapt" or seal? Or is a new hose the only way?


NickD on Sat April 24, 2010 5:38 AM User is offline

If they stuck with the old fashion Scharder type valve, could screw in a new valve stem and would be like new again. That neoprene disk is rather large in a R-134a port, gets dry and brittle and doesn't seat properly. This was approved by the EPA at the request of the automakers to make it easier for them to use a quick coupler for production. Never gave leakage a concern. If not leaking to bad, would be nice to find a metal valve cap with a good neoprene seal. Ones today are cheap plastic that easily break if tightened too much.

Yeah, I know, we all know, its a pain in the butt and expensive. R-134a port leakage is a common problem from an agency that will fine you $25,000.00 if you released an half an ounce of R-134a, but they let stuff like this get by. A bunch of hypocritical idiots.

mk378 on Sat April 24, 2010 12:53 PM User is offline

If it is made with Ford parts, the high side port assembly should be replaceable by unscrewing it from the part welded to the line. System must be emptied to do that of course.

TRB on Sat April 24, 2010 1:01 PM User is offlineView users profile

35-50021 Primary Valve


When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you:

steeee on Sat April 24, 2010 5:21 PM User is offline

The part you linked to :35-50021 is designed to screw onto an existing pipe with a threaded piece welded to it? The part I have would need would have to be cut and welded with a schrader type valve, I think. I guess I'm "hosed" ( no pun intended)

steeee on Sat April 24, 2010 8:49 PM User is offline

Upon closer inspection both high and low side valves are replaceable and have male threads with a small green O ring. Can you send a link with the correct part numbers?

Thanks again

Back to Automotive Air Conditioning Forum

We've updated our forums!
Click here to visit the new forum

Archive Home

Copyright © 2016 Arizona Mobile Air Inc.