Automotive Air Conditioning Information Forum (Archives)

Provided by www.ACkits.com

We've updated our forums!
Click here to visit the new forum

Archive Home

Search Auto AC Forum Archives

Newb AC question

nauree on Tue September 29, 2009 1:17 PM User is offline

Year: 1998
Make: GMC
Model: Serria
Engine Size: 5.7
Refrigerant Type: a134
Ambient Temp: 77
Pressure Low: ?
Pressure High: N/A
Country of Origin: United States

When I stick the gauge on the low side pressure without the truck running it reads like 80psi. When I turn the truck on with AC on max it will cycle from 10psi to 50psi and the compressor is going off and on every second. Is this normal for it to cycle psi? When it reaches 50psi the compressor will turn on and it drops to 10psi and the compressor will turn off. The psi then starts to go back up to around 50psi and the compressor will kick back on again.

GM Tech on Tue September 29, 2009 2:24 PM User is offline

you have about 20% of the necessary refrigerant in your system---the other 80% has leaked out. Find and fix your leak...then evac and recharge to spec. Most likely leak location is compressor belly on your truck. is it oily? Do a forum search for "belly leaker"

-------------------------
The number one A/C diagnostic tool there is- is to know how much refrigerant is in the system- this can only be done by recovering and weighing the refrigerant!!
Just a thought.... 65% of A/C failures in my 3200 car diagnostic database (GM vehicles) are due to loss of refrigerant due to a leak......

Back to Automotive Air Conditioning Forum

We've updated our forums!
Click here to visit the new forum

Archive Home

Copyright © 2016 Arizona Mobile Air Inc.