Engine Size: 4.0 OHV
Refrigerant Type: 134a
After doing some leak testing it seems I have a pretty large leak coming from the compressor. Right in the middle of the compressor, where the two halves are joined. I'm pretty sure it's an fs10 type, whatever is standard on explorers from 97. This is the second time I've had this same problem with this vehicle. It first happened after I replaced the original compressor with a junkyard one. The original one blew the clutch bearings over the winter (go figure) so I replaced it with the junkyard one. During last summer that one developed a good sized leak in the middle of the compressor, on the main joint. I figured that was likely a fluke since it was from the junkyard. Of course that was before I knew not to buy compressors from parts yards. Doing a little more research, I picked up a new unit from blend air out of texas in fall of last year. I put the new compressor in with oil however I didn't fill it with refrigerant until this spring. It seems to me it was defective but, I doubt with this much time passed they'll help me out.
My question is, any chance for fixing the seal? Supposedly its a nightmare to try and rebuild this model but does that also apply for the main seal? If not, what's it going to take to get this system up and running again?
When you changed the compressor did you add to much oil, was a deep vacuum pulled, what are the system pressures after you charged it...
Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose
I added 4 ozs. of pag 46, a deep vacuum was pulled on the system right after the compressor was installed in the fall and once again this spring before charging. I can't give you exact numbers on pressures after charging b/c I didn't write them down at the time however, an interesting problem I had was after the first can of refrigerant was added (through the high side, what fit in b/c of the vacuum) I started the vehicle and started adding my second can. The second can didn't really want to go in and the high side jumped to 300, and eventually hit 350 before I shut it down. I figured I had a clog in the system and bought HECAT flush to clean the system. Before I got my hands dirty with flushing, I checked the system again and it seemed to be working okay, I put the second can in and had pressures around 220 on the high side and 40 on the low on a day that was in the high 60's/low 70's ambient temp. Since then the leak has been discovered and now the high side pressure is around 100 on a 70 degree day with the compressor cycling every 5-10 seconds.
We've updated our forums!
Click here to visit the new forum
Copyright © 2016 Arizona Mobile Air Inc.