Automotive Air Conditioning Information Forum (Archives)

Provided by

We've updated our forums!
Click here to visit the new forum

Archive Home

Search Auto AC Forum Archives

What Type Adapter?

JLHAWKINS on Mon June 01, 2009 10:54 PM User is offline

Year: 1992
Make: Buick
Model: Park Ave
Engine Size: 3.8
Refrigerant Type: 134A
Ambient Temp: 83
Pressure Low: 43
Pressure High: ??
Country of Origin: United States

I have a friend who owns the above vehicle. It was converted to 134A some time back and looks like it was one of those "conversion kit" jobs. It does not have a 134A conversion fitting on the high side but rather the original R-12 fitting that someone referred to as a "deep throat". Anyway the valve sets deep in the fitting and my normal R-12 GM adapter will not reach down to depress the valve.

What type of adapter is available to either convert this fitting to a 134A high pressure fitting or even an adapter for use with my R-12 gauges? The system is acting strange and I need to check the pressures on the high side.

Any assistance with identifying the adapter needed and it availability would be appreciated.


Chick on Tue June 02, 2009 7:46 AM User is offlineView users profile

Check out item number 90338, last one on the page for GM 91-3 high side service ports..Hope this helps..

Email: Chick


Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose

mk378 on Tue June 02, 2009 10:40 AM User is offline

Once you have a 90338 or similar I think you could then screw an ordinary R-134a conversion fitting (with valve core depressor) onto it and use your R-134a gauges.

But I don't think they make a R-134a converter that directly actuates the valve in these. To permanently install a conversion fitting you'd need to remove the stock valve core and install a conversion fitting that has its own shrader valve. Of course the system will need to be empty to do that. That is the best way to convert though because you don't end up with two valves in series which will impede evacuation or charging.

JLHAWKINS on Mon June 08, 2009 9:41 PM User is offline

Thanks guys. That is just the adapter that I need. I will order one from AMA and just use my R-12 gauges to check what is happening on the high side rather than trying to adapt the fitting to R-134A.

Thanks again for the information.

Back to Automotive Air Conditioning Forum

We've updated our forums!
Click here to visit the new forum

Archive Home

Copyright © 2016 Arizona Mobile Air Inc.