Automotive Air Conditioning Information Forum (Archives)

Provided by www.ACkits.com

We've updated our forums!
Click here to visit the new forum

Archive Home

Search Auto AC Forum Archives

high side line extremely hot

fastforded on Mon June 01, 2009 10:20 AM User is offline

Year: 2003
Make: suburu
Model: forester
Engine Size: 2.5
Refrigerant Type: 134
Ambient Temp: 77.0
Pressure Low: 98.5
Pressure High: 110
Country of Origin: United States

high side line really hot???


low side cool, not ice cold

any thoughts?

mk378 on Mon June 01, 2009 10:23 AM User is offline

Undercharged-- which implies leaky. Then I see 98 on the low side, so maybe TXV stuck open but should charge properly first to be sure. You are measuring the pressure with the valve wheels on the gauge manifold CLOSED, right?

Edited: Mon June 01, 2009 at 10:25 AM by mk378

fastforded on Mon June 01, 2009 10:46 AM User is offline

nope, open.

there was also bubbles in gage. air? leak? both gauges fully open

noticed only leak on high side hose

static readings were 87 low side, 98 high side

car totally off, low side was 50 when i closed high side valve on manifold.

car cooled 27 degrees.

thanks

mk378 on Mon June 01, 2009 10:55 AM User is offline

To take pressure readings, close the valves on the manifold. Open them only while evacuating or charging through the yellow center hose.

fastforded on Mon June 01, 2009 11:00 AM User is offline

Quote
Originally posted by: mk378
To take pressure readings, close the valves on the manifold. Open them only while evacuating or charging through the yellow center hose.

whats the difference? they open up the center port on mainifold for evacuating/charging?


Edited: Mon June 01, 2009 at 11:01 AM by fastforded

mk378 on Mon June 01, 2009 11:07 AM User is offline

Inside the manifold, the gauges are connected directly to the red and blue hoses, before the valves. The gauges always show the pressure in the hose (and thus in the car when the couplers are connected and open), whether the valve is open or not.

If you have both manifold valves open, refrigerant will flow across the center of the manifold. This will disrupt the system operation and also cause pressure drop in the hoses, so the gauge readings are not correct.

The general rule is never open the high side valve with the compressor running. There is no reason to.

fastforded on Mon June 01, 2009 11:12 AM User is offline

Quote
Originally posted by: mk378
The general rule is never open the high side valve with the compressor running. There is no reason to.

high side valve on manifold?

and how do you see the bubbles? compressor off?





Edited: Mon June 01, 2009 at 11:15 AM by fastforded

mk378 on Mon June 01, 2009 11:32 AM User is offline

Right, the one on the manifold. Keep both manifold valves closed until you're ready to evacuate or charge. When the compressor is running, you can charge through the low side but don't open the high side valve because that will put high pressure in the yellow hose. Which would be dangerous if it's connected to a can of refrigerant.

Ignore the sight glass on the manifold. You don't need it.

fastforded on Mon June 01, 2009 12:10 PM User is offline

Quote
Originally posted by: mk378
Right, the one on the manifold. Keep both manifold valves closed until you're ready to evacuate or charge. When the compressor is running, you can charge through the low side but don't open the high side valve because that will put high pressure in the yellow hose. Which would be dangerous if it's connected to a can of refrigerant.



Ignore the sight glass on the manifold. You don't need it.

sight glass had bubbles in it....

Back to Automotive Air Conditioning Forum

We've updated our forums!
Click here to visit the new forum

Archive Home

Copyright © 2016 Arizona Mobile Air Inc.