Automotive Air Conditioning Information Forum (Archives)

Provided by

We've updated our forums!
Click here to visit the new forum

Archive Home

Search Auto AC Forum Archives

92 Cavalier, I have a problem

70monte on Wed September 24, 2008 4:36 PM User is offline

Year: 1992
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Cavalier
Engine Size: 2.2L
Refrigerant Type: R12
Country of Origin: United States

I just finished installing a new compressor, condensor, and accumulator on my 92 Cavalier. I went to hook up my R12 hoses and the high side hose will not fit on the high side service port. The end of the hose is too big and just slides down the threads of the service port. The threads of the service port do not look damaged at all. The hose ends are all 1/4" QS X 1/4" FFL and are Robinair brand.

I have an extra R12 to R134a retrofit kit that has three adapters in it. There is one adapter that has threads on one end instead of the quick connect end. The end of the hose will screw on to the end of this adapter but this adapter will not screw on to the high side service port. It is too small. The high side adapter will screw onto the high side port so I know the threads are good. The kit says the high side adapter has 3/8" thread size. Does this mean that I need a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter to hook up my hose? Do they even make such a thing?

Has anyone heard of this happening and what are my options? Can I vacumn and recharge just through the low side? I'm staying with R12 in this car. Thanks for any help.


Edited: Wed September 24, 2008 at 4:46 PM by 70monte

mk378 on Wed September 24, 2008 4:55 PM User is offline

Yes, you have a 3/16" port (made for 3/16" tubing, it has 3/8" threads on the outside). Most later R-12 cars were set up this way, so they make such an adapter.

Also if the tip of the valve core is considerably recessed below the top of the fitting you will need a "GM Deep Throat" adapter instead of the regular 3/16 to 1/4 flare adapter. This was a GM specialty, it's also a 3/16 port but with the valve made different I guess to make people have to buy another adapter.

With a combination R-134a gauge set you can temporarily put a conversion fitting on the port. It would have to be the type where you leave the original shrader valve in, so you can later remove the fitting with the system still charged. Couple to it with your R-134a car coupler/adapter, putting the red hose on the coupler as if it were a R-134a car. The low side would just have the hose directly attached.

Edited: Wed September 24, 2008 at 4:57 PM by mk378

70monte on Wed September 24, 2008 5:12 PM User is offline

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have the recessed valve stem on the port so that is good. I will have to see if my R134 coupler will fit on my R12 hose as you suggested. I don't have my 134 set with me so I will have to finish this job up another day. I will also see if I can find the correct adapter. Well, I learned something new today so I guess thats good. I just wish I would have known it in advance. Thanks again for your help.


70monte on Wed September 24, 2008 8:03 PM User is offline

Well, I ordered an adapter since my R134a gauge set is only for R134a and the hoses won't interchange with my R12 manifold. I guess it will be next week before I can finish and get the AC charged.


Back to Automotive Air Conditioning Forum

We've updated our forums!
Click here to visit the new forum

Archive Home

Copyright © 2016 Arizona Mobile Air Inc.